Sunday, March 22, 2009

Gordo, Alabama


Last year in October, I participated in The Kentuck Festival of the Arts located in Northport, Alabama. I was stunned when I received notice that my work had been juried in, on my first attempt! My space was B-34. Little did I know that the space had been occupied by Glenn House, Sr. for many years. Turns out that he gave up the spot last year and it became available (for me). I set up my booth and display, with Tom's help, and settled in for a three day run. Students from the University of Alabama's Publications/Book Arts Program were to the right of my tent and on the other side was Peter Rose, an Australian born potter who lives and creates in Knoxville, Tennessee. Glenn House, Sr. and his wife, Kathleen Fetters, an award winning photographer were situated next to Peter. Add to the mix, Amos Kennedy, an internationally recognized letterpress printer and (as my son would say) "it was on." I felt as tho I had known these artists all of my life! On the last day of Kentuck 2008, Glenn extended an invitation to me and Tom to visit Gordo where he, Kathy and Amos have set up shop. I took him up on his offer and two weeks ago, on February 15th, we drove to Gordo, Alabama.

The afternoon was WON-DER-FUL!! To be in the company of such gifted and talented and FUNNY individuals has changed me and my way of thinking. First and foremost, I realize that I MUST spend more time around creative people. Secondly, I'm learning that you can't take yourself too seriously. Laugh out loud, life is short. Lastly, although I don't consider myself an intellectual or a philosopher by any stretch of the imagination, I accept that I can and I do have a lot to say and even more to offer with regard to my printmaking: what I create and why.

Gordo, Alabama is probably best known for it's Mule Day/Chickenfest which is held on the first Saturday in June. Oh, and they create a lovely mule manure paper, too! Gordo is located in Pickins County on U. S. Route 82 west of Tuscaloosa and east of the Mississippi line. It is what it is. A non-descript, small dusty rural town with Main Street running across the bumpy rail tracks simply leading you to the other side. The other side you ask? Yes, the other side of the tracks. That's it. No more; no less. The walking tour was slow and leisurely. Into one building and out; on to another. The museum of Glenn's mother, Ma'Cille, is called Ma'Cille's Museum of Miscellanea. You name it and you'll find almost everything southern as a part of this wonderful collection. Oh, the eye candy! My goodness! Behind each door was art and more art, letterpress equipment, paper, inks, hardware, antiques, junk, bottles, chipboard posters, dolls, jars of stuff and no telling what else. There was so much to take in. And the stories. Kathy and Glenn had stories galore and shared them effortlessly. Glenn's gallery is housed in an old NAPA Auto Parts store. Kathy is a co-owner of Gallery 121 on Main Street. She recently designed and printed a Chickenfest poster which she graciously autographed and presented to me.

We began and ended the tour in the building that houses Amos' Kennedy Prints. He's the real deal. Authentic. When I learned that he once worked in mainstream corporate America, I wondered if he became "authentic" after he left to follow his bliss or if, in fact, he had been "authentic" all along and realized that corporate America and all of the bullshit that comes with it was simply not a good fit for him. Doesn't matter. I'm that much closer to becoming "authentic", too. This is a good thing.

I spent the last couple of hours, of my day in Gordo, sharing lino block proofs that I've created as part of my GIA grant. I was in my element talking about my project: WALK IN THE DIRECTION YOU' GOIN' IN. I talked, they listened. I stepped back and shut my mouth. I wanted to hear what they had to say about my work for better or for worse.

I left Gordo with a broad grin on my face. A VERY broad grin.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I live in Gordo, and have my entire life, you described it perfectly.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

My grandfather runs the Northport farmers market and has mentioned the Gordo mule festival to me my entire life. I'm going this year.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

My mom used to take me to that farmers market every Saturday morning when I was a kid! This is the first time I will have a booth at Mule Day, I look forward to seeing everyone there.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Rajesh said...

The importance of SEO is not hidden to any one. In SEO Services is an Indian SEO Company which provides Link Building, Directory Submission,
Article Submission and Social Book Marking Services. Our expert team has worked on several websites, which are on top position of Google and other Search Engine Optimization. Our charges are so low that you can be amazed by this. But the quality of services is never questionable.Link Building Services

10:23 PM  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Web designing and web Development Company, Suhanasoft is a professional and dedicated web design agency. The company has been providing web site design, web development and Search Engine Optimization Services. We provide quality services because of which our clients have been there. This Indian Web Design Company promises you to provide better services at affordable prices.Web Design India

10:24 PM  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Now, Surat has its own website which provides complete information about the city. There are large numbers of information which are Surat city related. If you want to know about the business information of the city, you can also get that information. Apart from that, we have a special feature in this website, Social Networking in which you can add your profile as well as you can also add your business page.Surat

10:24 PM  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Mumbai the economic capital of India has a website called Mumbai Shopping. The website provides latest information about Mumbai City and Mumbai Business information. There are large numbers of business categories in this website under which there are hundreds of company list. That may be useful either you want to do shopping or you want to extend as a business purpose.
Mumbai

10:24 PM  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Kolkata the city of Joy has a shopping websites, where you can find useful information about the city. Kolkata Shopping provides complete information about Kolkata and Kolkata business. We have added latest business address with physical address as well as phone numbers. So, whether you want to know about Kolkata City as a tourist or you want to shop here, this website can be quite useful for you.Kolkata

10:25 PM  
Blogger Rajesh said...

Imagine, you are a young and dynamic person. You have the capability to prove yourself. If you want to do a job, it not so promising because it sets a limit. If you want to do business ,it requires capital. What’s the way out.Premier Financial Alliance (PFA) online is USA based Financial Alliance Company which can turn your dream into reality. Just you can join with almost no money and you ca see your dream come true here.Premier Financial Alliance

10:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there,

jolly here from the http://webinfotech.info/ and I wanted to drop you a line and just compliment your blog site at http://driffe.blogspot.com/ There Most of blog posts are Very Interesting. I was looking around at a few different compliment blogs and definitely thought your's was one of the best.

I'd appreciate if you could please give the website http://webinfotech.info/ a link to it from your blog so that 'd be great.I'm sure this would surely benefit your site visitors,as Web designing services and web site creation planing, Suggestion for promoting on the web through the SEO, Strategy, Planing for Growth their business..And also my site visitors 'll know more regarding your BLOG.

Details Our Website:-

Title:- Seo Company India - Seo Services India - Seo Consultant India - Seo Firm India
Url:- http://webinfotech.info

Please let me know your thoughts on my suggestion,and thanks for all your time.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Have a nice day ~

Regards,
Jolly Dutta
Business Development,Web-info Tech Solutions, LLC
http://webinfotech.info/images/logo.gif
Website:-http://webinfotech.info/
Email:- webinfotechsol04@gmail.com

5:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice blog. I liked it.
You can also find interesting stuf here.
Kolkata Web Design and Search Engine Optimization

2:48 AM  
Blogger Seenath Kumar said...

Nice blog. :)
SEO Services Mumbai

5:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Shoppingsurat
Sari a common form of clothing for women across south Asia, draped around the body in different styles to form a garment. It is a seamless rectangular piece of fabric measuring between four to nine meters decorated with varying pattern, colour, design, and richness.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog Having Information is awesome... We are good Manufacturer, exporter and Supplier of
tert-Butylhydroquinone ,
TBHQ ,
T-BHQ ,
Direct Black 22
Chemicals Exporter
dichlone .

12:06 AM  
Blogger Web Services Bangalore said...

Quality web design and effective Search Engine Optimization are the important and essential factors to every websites.It would not get visitors with out that factors.
Web Designing Companies Bangalore | Web Development Company Bangalore

6:59 AM  
Blogger Web Services Bangalore said...

The main target for web designer is make a unique design for the web page and that web page should be impressed to who are visiting that web page.
Web Designing Companies Bangalore | Web Development Company Bangalore

7:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Web design field,development field and Search Engine Optimization Field are the basic thing for every website to shape it for business growth.
Web Design Companies | Web Designing Company Bangalore

3:55 AM  
Blogger Bangaloreweb guru said...

The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more contents...Great job, keep it up..Website Design Companies Bangalore | Web Designing Company Bangalore

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home