Sunday, February 15, 2009

Movin' Right Along

It's hard to believe that I've just reached the mid-point of my grant year.
September 2009 is looming on the horizon and I'm working as hard and as fast as I can! This is the beginning of MY art festival season. I love it! Unfortunately, I'm going to have to bow out of the shows located outside of Birmingham which I've been accepted to participate in. I don't want to get bogged down with the logistics of trying to prepare new prints when my focus is to complete the requirements of my GIA grant. That's my priority. I'm very excited with the larger lino blocks that I'm cutting. So far the blocks are either 14" x 20" or 18" x 18" which is larger than I've ever worked. I'm taking a few of them to Gordo, Alabama in a couple of weeks to show them to Glenn House, Kathy Fetters and Amos Kennedy. Nothing like a good old critique from a couple of heavy hitters in the printmaking/papermaking/letterpress world. More on that later.

Once you get into a "rhythm" cutting a design into linoleum block, it becomes very theraputic. I used to find this same rhythm when I'd needlepoint at all hours of the night. And as much as I enjoy block printing. . . I have to admit that I really miss my daily stitching sessions. I still keep small canvases stored in my car. Whenever I find myself waiting for something or someone, I'll pull one out and stitch like there's no tomorrow. So much to do; so little time.

I'm enrolled in a stained glass class for the next six weeks. Actually, we've already had two sessions. The class is offered thru the Birmingham Museum of Art. Penny Arnold is the instructor. She's wonderful. I love her teaching style. Very clear instructions, low key, non-obtrusive. By that I mean that she's not hovering over you or insisting that you do something her way as the right way. While there are a number of correct steps that one should follow to get a desired result she definitely has fun, informative sessions. Check out her website Golden Penny Studio.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home