Sunday, April 17, 2011

Alabama Book Festival 2011


I drove to Montgomery, Alabama yesterday to spend the day at the Alabama Book Festival.

Two of my favorite authors, Sonia Sanchez and Wayne Greenhaw, were presenting. I love this photo that I took of Sista Sonia as she was autographing her book shake loose my skin. The inscription reads: To Sister Debra- Walk your intelligence and beauty across this country, my dear sister. I've read the poetry of Sonia Sanchez since my undergrad days at Howard University. Gosh, how long ago was that? Sonia Sanchez is a treasure.

There were a few other names on the list of presenters who I wanted to hear: Rick Bragg, Natalie Chanin and Marc Smirnoff. Marc is the founder and editor of the Oxford American magazine. I was commissioned to create a linoleum block relief print for the December 2010 publication -12th Annual Southern Music Issue. Before Marc spoke, I was able to hand him a Sista Gertrude print; the impression that I made to accompany the December article written by Nicholas Rombes.

I'll close this entry with apk jr's striking red, white and blue posters. Genius.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home